Thursday, August 30, 2012

Gluten Free Egg Muffins

I have given up on food photography for the time being. Living in a 105 year old adobe house is great and I love my 2 feet wide window sills - except for the lighting. My house isn't photo friendly and two kitties think a light box equals playhouse! For now I'm going to focus on regular posts with awesome recipes - I'll try pictures again - but for now they get in the way of me actually posting.

This is one the recipes I make weekly - as much as I try to get everything done once a month breakfast and snacks are the areas I fail at. Some things freeze great - like the lovely recipe I'll be sharing with you tomorrow - while others, like this one, do much better in the fridge. I make a batch once a week and they are usually gone before the week is even over!

They are also great fuel if you are working out in the morning. Pop them in the microwave for 20-30 seconds, depending on your microwave - and you are out the door, breakfast ready to eat. Hand held eggs you guys, that is so awesome! Plus, you can tailor them to each of your family member's taste without extra hassle. Win-win. Prepping for school breakfasts, running late to work, whatever you have going on, I'd give these a try, they'll last longer then a doughnut or a bowl of cereal and you will know you ate and fed your family a healthy breakfast. In 30 seconds.

Gluten Free Egg Muffins
10-12 Large eggs, beaten
Cheese
Salt
Pepper
Whatever else you'd like to add to your eggs:
Sausage
Onions
Peppers
Bacon
Spinach
Tomatoes
etc...
Spices such as:
Cayenne pepper
Parsley
Garlic powder

Directions:
Grease down your muffin tins and heat up the oven to 350 degrees. The amount of egg you use does depend on how many different extras you chose to add. My husband is an egg and cheese only guy so 6 eggs makes  6 Gluten Free Egg Muffins. I add more, sausage, onions, bell peppers, spinach and tomatoes along with cheese, I use 5 eggs unless I come home with jumbo eggs, and then I will use 4. (as you can tell this is a very flexible recipe - which is why I enjoy it so much!). Only fill your tins up slightly over half full. Beat your eggs along with your chosen spices and salt and pepper to taste. I use a measuring cup to spoon the egg into each muffin tin to keep it tidy. Fill up the tin to almost - full, leave at least 1/4 an inch of leeway, they will rise. I then use a fork to slightly stir the ingredients before popping them in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Store in the refrigerator in an air tight container for up to one week.

Tip - don't over heat in the microwave or the eggs will turn rubbery.

No comments:

Post a Comment