Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Gluten Free Cornbread (and it rises!)

So in the spirit of making my home life a little more Susy homemaker and less a war zone I've started to make lunch into our main meal of the day. Today was beef stew and I decided to try making Gluten Free Cornbread. And I nailed it! I am so excited you guys, trying a new Gluten Free recipe is always stressful, the ingredients aren't cheap and after the time and the heat of the oven you just aren't sure it will turn out. I hate it.

But I love these.

Gluten Free Cornbread

MIX
1 and 1/4 cup of Gluten Free Cornmeal
1/4 cup of Sugar (I actually used about a tablespoon and half less)
1/2 cup of Brown Rice Flour
1/2 teaspoon of Xantan Gum
1 teaspoon Cream of Tarter
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Salt (or Kosher Salt)
(if you are like me and use the dried buttermilk add 4 Tablespoons now)

ADD and MIX but do not over mix
2 Large Eggs
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla (or a dash or two more if you are like me and love the stuff)
1/4 cup MELTED Butter
2 1/2 Tablespoons of Honey
1 cup of Milk (or buttermilk if you didn't use dried buttermilk, but NOT water, no matter what the package says)

350 degrees

Grease an 8x8 pan (mine is glass) and set in the oven to warm up while you mix up the ingredients. Take out of oven and pour in mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. If you want, brush the top of the cornbread with honey when you take it out of the oven for extra awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment