Monday, May 7, 2012

Blackberry Peach Waffles

My Mom was diagnosed with Celiac two weeks before I was. It was her diagnosis that lead to mine. This is the first Mother's Day since then so the challenge was a Gluten Free - and still delicious Mother's Day Brunch. Since we live in two different towns I had this brunch this past weekend with my Mom and I'll be sharing it with you over the course of the week so you can have a special Gluten Free day with your Mom.


My Mom looooves fresh fruit, summer is her favorite time of year just for that reason! She also grew up on my Grandpa's homestead in Oklahoma where his fields are overrun with blackberry bushes. One thing you will always find in my Grandma's freezer is bags and bags of fresh picked frozen blackberries.


Now that we live in colorful, but dusty, deserts of New Mexico it seemed fitting to create a dish that would taste like those sticky summer days. And waffles seemed like the best idea as a complement to the fresh blackberries and peaches I got my hands on.


Now we have a family waffle recipe that is an absolute favorite - but it is most definitely not Gluten Free. It took several weird fails for me to come up with a Gluten Free waffley alternative. One batch just crumbled to pieces, another had to almost be burned to get it off the waffle iron... but finally a winner!


2 eggs, separated
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon xanthun gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil

Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, set aside

In a large bowl, sift together brown rice flour, cornstarch, and xanthum gum. Add salt, sugar baking powder milk and egg yolks. Mix well. Add the oil and stir. Fold in egg whites. Do not over mix. Cook until golden brown on hot waffle iron. Top with your choice of fruit and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment