Friday, September 7, 2012

Part 2 Monthly Cooking: How to Break Down Your Shopping List

I thought today I would share with you how I have broken down my shopping into Monthly, Weekly/Bi-weekly and Staples.

I've broken my list down into three separate sections since some items are a weekly or bi-weekly purchase because they spoil, or, like the items on my staples list, they are things that are shelf-stable and they often last for more than a month. 

My monthly shopping list covers the ingredients I purchase to prep our 30 days of dinners. What is listed are the items I will always buy. If there is a great sale on turkey or a nice roast, I will pick that up. The same goes for seasonal produce. My weekly shopping list is also added to the monthly, to cover those necessities for that week. 

Monthly Shopping List

Meats
Chicken
Tuna
Salmon
Lean Beef (Occasionally)

Produce
Broccoli
Edemane
Onion
Garlic
Sweet Potatoes
Potatoes
Frozen Blueberries

Dairy

Shredded Cheese
Cottage Cheese

Snacks 

Green Tea
Chrystal Light
Dehydrated Okra (if you have never had some - try, better than chips and a great energy pick-me-up)
Trail mix (bought from dried goods store, not the kind with M&M's and sugar)
Rasins
Peanut Butter
Almond Butter
Amonds
Cashews
Walnuts
Pecans
Coconut
Dark Chocolate
Mustard


I have a salad every day for lunch at work. I haven't yet found a way to make spinach or tomatoes last a full month. Carrots I buy weekly because I go through the biggest bag my grocery store carries in a week and a half. I try to keep my fridge from filling up to much. We also consume close to 2 gallons of milk a week as well as 2-3 cartons of eggs. 

Weekly

Produce
Spinach
Tomatoes
Carrots
Pears
Apples
Bananas
Grapes

Dairy
Milk
Unsweetened Almond Milk
Eggs
Greek Yogurt
String Cheese

Bread for Husband

This list is something I have to have because of where I live. Most of the Gluten Free flours or baking necessities are not available in my town. When I drive to the "big city" I have this list on me and I will stock up. 


Staples

Quinoa
Rice Pasta
GF Oats
GF Breadcrumbs

Rice Flour
Xanthan Gum

Tapioca Starch
Potato Starch
Cornstarch
Spices
Baking Powder
Baking Soda
Sugar
Brown Sugar
Honey
Olive Oil

Canola Oil

Tomorrow I'll share a few of my chicken preps for once a month cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment